An Alternate Perspective on Typology

Yet another letter I sent to my INTJ friend; this time I present another way to look at typology that I've found fairly helpful and enlightening, though I'm not sure to what extent it is compatible with my previous views.

***

Since writing the first group of papers, I've found another element to Jung's conception of E and I that I've found rich and useful. I originally thought it was separate from the perspective I presented above, but I've found now that it is actually just another element breaking off of what I presented above -- another effect of the above propositions, if you will.

The first perspective that I presented above: E = objective, while I = subjective. Jung states this definition as such:

Whereas the extravert continually appeals to what comes to him from the object, the introvert relies principally on what the sense impression constellates in the subject.

The second perspective, however, is as follows:

The introvert's attitude is an abstracting one; at bottom, he is always intent on withdrawing libido from the object, as though he had to prevent the object from gaining power over him. The extravert, on the contrary, has a positive relation to the object…

…the peculiar nature of the extravert constantly urges him to expend and propagate himself in every way, while the tendency of the introvert is to defend himself against all demands from outside, to conserve his energy by withdrawing it from objects, thereby consolidating his own position. Blake's intuition did not err when he described the two types as "prolific" and "devouring"…The one achieves its end by multiplicity of relationships, the other by monopoly.

This second perspective presents E as "prolific": it is constantly giving itself away to objects. This relates, obviously, to its increased focus on objects as stated in the first perspective. Meanwhile, I is "devouring", because instead of giving itself away to objects, it "abstracts" ideas from them that prevent it from having to directly interact with them. Introversion always assimilates its impressions of objects into its subject; it reconciles them with what it already knows and thus evolves their core knowledge, while E is more apt to reconcile what it thinks it already knows with what it learns, thus building knowledge that way.

I understand it this way: in philosophy there is a classic problem called "the Many and the One". Allow me to illustrate: imagine that as you and I are walking through the halls of Liberty High again, and as we walk we pass by a number of girls: some wear simple dresses with their hair long and regular, some have wild hairstyles and dyed streaks with ripped jeans, others are wearing clothes that seem specifically designed to guide your eye to every part of them but their face, etc. As you and I pass them, we immediately begin categorizing them, rather like I just did. We say, there are the "normal" girls, there are the "goth" girls, and there are the "cheerleader" girls, or whatever you want to call them. We might then say that all three of these groups share characteristics that make them "girls" in the first place. Then there are things that make them "human". We could also subdivide these categories, and say there aren't just normal girls, but "conservative normal" and "liberal normal".

You may be able to see that there is an interesting tension here, the tension between the many individually unique girls, and the overall category of "girlhood", as well as the various categories in between: "normalhood", "gothhood", and "cheerleaderhood". So the question is this: do those categories actually exist? Are they justified by something? Or did you and I just make them up for our convenience? In other words, is the world made up of just infinitely many unique things? Or is it actually made up of One, overarching, unifying thing?

Plato is the one who first proposed that there are, indeed, eternal Forms which account for all these categories which we make: the Forms of "cheerleaderhood" is actually the real thing, while all of those individual cheerleaders are merely shadows, or imperfect attempts to copy the perfect, unchanging Form of cheerleaderhood. Jacques Derrida, among other things, says that there is nothing to justify these categories, and we only make them up for our convenience.

So what's this got to do with typology? Well, in my view, extraversion is naturally affinitive with the concept of the Many, while introversion is naturally affinitive with the concept of the One. This is because extraversion is on positive terms with objects, and is constantly trying to lose its subject to the various objects in the world. Its psychic energy flows out towards objects, to the Many and away from the One. Meanwhile, introversion does not flow towards the many, but is "abstracting" energy from the many objects to form categories in its mind to organize them. These categories become its 'subjective objects'. Hence, why E is prolific and I devouring.

Te -- many facts; Ti -- one principle
Fe -- many values; Fi -- one value principle
Ne -- many possible realities; Ni -- one possible view of the world
Se -- many details of reality; Si -- one important detail in reality

Of course, none of the introverted functions here only think in terms of "there is only one idea!" -- Like I said above, they form categories that unite concepts. But ideally, they are moving towards the overall heading of some kind. Extraversion certainly forms categories too, but these are always fluid and viewed as far less important than the many things themselves. Te, for instance, is in danger of multiplying facts instead of making any kind of idea to encapsulate the data.

We could then define the functions in this other way to better represent the gradations involved here:

Te -- facts; Ti -- principles
Fe -- values (as in many values or shades of behavior for different situations); Fi -- virtues (a moral, feeling principle practiced despite what others think)
Ne -- possibilities; Ni -- views
Se -- photography (representing equal value of richness placed on everything); Si -- impressionism (representing the picking and choosing of elements to emphasize and develop)